Shipments can be created quickly and easily in the Turvo platform. The article below provides the basic steps to create a shipment. However, further information around advanced shipment details can be found in our Managing advanced shipment details article.
To create a shipment:
- Log in and click on the + sign in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Select Shipment from the drop-down menu.
- Fill in the details on the Create shipment modal that pops up.
- Customer: Select the customer who is requesting the shipment. Only customers that have already been created will appear in this drop-down. For steps to create a customer, see How to create a customer.
- Note: If the customer also has a Turvo tenant, then you will have the option to share the shipment with them. Click the Share toggle to turn sharing on (blue) or off (grey). Learn more about sharing shipments across tenants.
- Send Turvo link to/when shipment is: This gives you the ability to send a customer contact a Turvo link when the shipment reaches a particular status. First, check the box to enable, then begin typing your contact to select them from the drop-down. You can add multiple contacts, if need be. Lastly, select a status from the drop-down menu. Turvo links are a great way to share shipment information with customers that do not have their own Turvo tenant. Learn more about sharing shipments across tenants and using Turvo links.
- Mode: By default, the shipment will be selected as a TL (truckload) shipment. To switch to a different mode, select the mode drop-down and choose from TL, LTL (less than truckload), Parcel, Drayage, Air, Rail, Ocean, and Intermodal.
- Note: The available fields in the modal may change, depending on the Mode chosen.
- Service type: Once the mode is selected, choose the applicable service type from the Service type drop-down menu. The choices will change depending on the selected Mode.
- Equipment: Select the relevant equipment details for the shipment (van, flatbed, refrigerated, auto rack, etc.).
- Pickup/Delivery Location: Select the location where the shipment is being picked up and dropped off. Locations that have already been created will appear in the drop-down. If you need to create a new location, you can choose + New location directly from this menu to create it. For steps to create a location, see How to create a location.
- If Air, Rail, or Ocean are selected as the Mode, Pickup location will be named Port of Origin.
- To input Pickup and Delivery Location accessorials, click the More Options menu (three dots) to the right of the fields. This opens up the Pickup services and Dlivery services fields where you can input the accessorials.
- Pickup/Delivery account: Once a location has been selected, an optional Pickup account and Delivery account field will appear below the respective location field. Use the drop-down to tie the shipment to an account associated with the location. This can be useful when multiple customers use the same location.
- Requested Pickup/Delivery dates: Select the shipment’s requested pickup and delivery dates. Additional pickups or drop offs can be added in the Details tab once the shipment is created.
- Protip: To learn more about Requested pickup/delivery dates and other date types in Turvo, see our Understanding dates and times on a route article in Help Center.
- Automate with Routing Guide: Only available for TL shipments and tenants with Routing guide enabled. When checked, Turvo will automatically compare the shipment against existing routing guides in your tenant. If the shipment’s details match a routing guide’s parameters, the shipment will automatically run through the routing sequence. For more information on Turvo’s routing guide see our How to use Turvo’s routing guide article.
- Note: If no routing guides match the shipment, Turvo will show the following message in the shipment’s timeline.
- Once all required information is filled out, the CREATE button will change from grey to blue.
- Click CREATE and the shipment will be created.
- You will be taken to the shipment summary page where additional detail can be added to the shipment, such as route details, items to be shipped, costs, contacts, etc.
- Existing shipments will appear under the Shipments tab in the left navigation menu or can be found by searching in the global search bar at the top of the screen.
Protip: Once you’ve created the shipment, if you are utilizing Turvo’s Autopilot rules for automatically applying customer rates, Turvo will check for and automatically apply contracts or global rates for the customer and add the rate to the customer’s billable shipment costs. See our article, Autopilot: Automatically apply your customer's billable rates to shipments, to learn more about utilizing automated customer rating.
Now, you will need to find a carrier. Carriers can be added in multiple ways. Click the links below to find out more about each option.
- Video: How to send and manage offers to Carriers in Turvo
- How to post a shipment to DAT
- How to create a shipment posting and send to carriers
- How to manually add a specific Carrier to a shipment
More information on updating shipment details can be found in our Managing Advanced Shipment Details article.