Under the Assets section of Turvo, carriers can add their assets so that specific equipment can be added to shipments for execution, tracking availability, and telematics integrations. Below we explain the steps to add an asset to your fleet.
Hover over the left navigation bar and hover over Assets to expand the menu. Then select the type of asset you need to add, based on mode. Options include TL, Drayage, Rail, or Ocean.
Once on your selected Assets page, click + Add Asset.
In the Add asset modal, enter in all relevant information for the equipment.
Note: The fields shown in the Add asset modal may vary from the screenshot below, depending on the Mode selected for the asset.
The Mode field will be automatically filled in, depending on which Assets page you enter the asset from (TL, Drayage, Rail, or Ocean). The Asset type is the only required field. Select the type of equipment the asset is from the drop-down menu. The list of vehicles available in Asset type will change depending on the type of mode selected.
Note: The only modes available for assets are TL, Drayage, Rail, and Ocean at this time.
Then, add additional information about the asset in the corresponding fields (optional, but recommended). Depending on the mode selected for the asset, the available fields will change. Below are descriptions of some of the recommended fields split by asset mode.
Recommended fields by mode
- VIN, License Plate #, and Asset number: Adding this information will allow you to search for the asset using those IDs or equipment information.
- Availability: Indicate the asset availability status. If you select nothing here, the asset will be considered Available.
- Not Available can be used in instances where the asset is currently out of service or not to be added to shipments. This will prevent users from selecting this asset on a shipment.
- Note: You cannot manually put an asset in Active status, but it will show as Active when it is assigned to an active shipment.
- Carrier: Assign your organization as the Carrier (unless this asset belongs to a different carrier, then select that carrier).
- Note: Any carriers added here must already be created in Turvo under Accounts > Carriers in the left navigation bar.
- +Add tracking provider: Telematics tracking can be set up under the Tracking provider section on a per-asset basis. Learn more about configuring telematics in Connecting to telematics providers in Turvo.
Note: Assets added in the TL mode are over-the-road assets that are also available for use in LTL and Drayage shipments
Drayage and Rail assets
- MBL and Container number: Adding the Master Bill of Lading and the Container number of the asset will give you the ability to search for the asset using those IDs.
- MMSI and IMO: Adding the Maritime Mobile Service Identity and International Maritime Organization will give you the ability to search for the asset using those IDs and track the asset.
Steamship Line: Assign the organization the asset belongs to. Any accounts added here must already be created in Turvo.
Click the CREATE button. This saves the asset for future use in Turvo, and the asset details can now be viewed in the asset list under the Assets tab.
Protip: Any assets added to your tenant can easily be assigned to a shipment without retyping all of the same information. Learn more about adding an asset to a shipment.