You can add services to a contract or global rate in Turvo that apply to a shipment when a shipment specifies the need for the service. Prior to adding a service to an existing contract or global rate, see our other help center articles for more information on creating contracts and global rates in Turvo.
You can also add a service to a lane rate, which will apply to any shipment that uses that contracted lane rate regardless of whether the service is specified on the shipment. Learn how to add a service to a lane rate here.
Important note: This article covers setting up services on individual contracts or global rates. If you need to apply the same set of services to multiple contracts or global rates, you can create a service plan. Learn more in the Using service plans in Turvo article.
Open an existing contract by hovering over Rates and clicking on either Contracts or Global rates from the left navigation or use the global search at the top of Turvo to search for a contract.
Once on the contract’s summary page, click the Services tab. Any existing accessorial charges will be listed in the Services tab as well.
To add a new service, click + Add services.
Fill in the appropriate information for your fuel surcharge. Depending on the type of rate, either contract or global rate, the Create service modal fields will differ. For either rate type, the Service and Rate fields are required.
Services added against a contract will pre-populate the Carrier, Start date, and End date based on the information entered into the contract.
Services added against a Global rate will pre-populate the Start date and End date based on the dates entered when the Global rate was created. Since Global rates are not associated with a single account, you’ll notice the Carrier field is not available in this Create service modal.
- Origin: Begin typing in the Origin field and select a location from the drop-down suggestions.
- Destination: Begin typing in the Destination field and select a location from the drop-down suggestions. If the service isn’t associated with a specific lane, you may choose the United States for both the Origin and Destination.
- Mode: Select from TL, Ocean, Rail, or Drayage.
- Service (required): The Service field is a drop-down of available services. Select the applicable service.
- Stop type: Select Pickup or Delivery from the Stop type drop-down, if applicable.
- Location: Enter a Location, if applicable. The service will only apply if that specific location is a stop on a shipment.
- Rate type (required): To determine the rate for the service, select the rate type from the Rate type drop-down. Choose from:
- Flat: A standard rate regardless of distance, weight or time. For example, a service may be a flat fee of $50.
- Per Mile: The rate is calculated by multiplying the Rate by the number of miles traveled.
- Per hundredweight: Takes total weight, divides by 100, then multiplies by the entered Rate.
- Per stop: Multiplies the set Rate by the number of stops in the shipment.
- Per unit: Multiplies the rate by the number of units.
- Per handling unit: Multiplies the rate by the handling unit.
- Rate (required): Once the Rate type is determined, type in the Rate for the service.
- Start date and End date: The Start date and End date are pre-populated based on the contract or global rate, but you can click on either date to change if needed.
- Status: The Status is Active by default, but can be changed to Inactive.
Setting up rate tables (optional)
You have the option to set up and use a rate table for each lane rate. This means you can set multiple rates that are triggered when range value meets the criteria you set.
Note: Rate tables are available for every rate type except for Flat.
From the Create service modal, select the Rate type. For this example, Per Mile is selected. The Enable rate table toggle appears.
Switch the toggle to the blue ON position. Then select whether you want to Rate cumulatively for each applicable range or Rate from highest applicable range.
Then you can start to enter the rows of values. Fill in the Start (>), End (<=), and Rate fields. In this example, the first row states that if the range is between 0-50 miles, the rate is $100. If the range is above 50 miles up to and including 100 miles, the rate is $200. If the range is above 100 miles up to and including 200 miles, the rate is $300.
Use the + Add row button to add as many table rows as you need.
Note: The range values vary depending on which rate type is selected.
Once all required information is filled out, the CREATE button will change from grey to blue. Click CREATE to add the service. The added service will apply to a shipment that uses this contract as well as specifies the service is needed. Learn how to add a service to the Equipment needed segment of a shipment in our Managing advanced shipment details article.