The shipment timeline is a powerful record keeping tool that captures important activity and changes to the associated shipment throughout its journey.
Rather than having to manually reach out to several different parties for updates, you can quickly view shipment events all in one place including details such as timestamps, who made the change, and what organization they belong to.
Below you’ll find more information on:
How to view the shipment timeline
To access the timeline of a shipment, you can either search for the shipment using the global search bar, or navigate to Shipments in the left navigation bar and find the shipment there. Click into the shipment, and then select the Timeline tab:
On the Timeline tab, you can see a breakdown of the different events that have occurred in connection with the shipment:
Understanding the shipment timeline
The timeline captures information every time an event is created, modified, or deleted against the associated shipment. The information displayed in the timeline includes:
Note: All shipments retain timeline data for a year from the shipment creation date.
- Timestamp: Displays the date/time the record was made.
- By: Shows the user who performed the action and what company they belong to.
- Action performed: The event that was created, modified, or deleted against the shipment. Events can include:
- Shipment status: An update will appear with every status change against the shipment throughout its journey.
- Driver: Whenever a driver is added or removed from a shipment, an event will appear in the timeline. You’ll also see events for updates made by the driver along the route via the Driver app. Driver updates include:
- Driver started shipment: Driver has selected Start shipment in the Driver app.
- Driver en route: Driver is tracking en route to the next stop.
- Driver arrived: Driver has arrived at the stop.
- Driver checked in: Driver has checked in and is awaiting the load.
- Driver picked up: Driver has the load in tow.
- Driver departed: Driver has left the stop.
- Driver finished shipment: Shipment has been completed by the driver selecting Finish shipment.
- Protip: You can configure your tenant to prevent drivers from marking shipments complete when their tracking location is outside the delivery geofence. Reach out to your Turvo representative to enable this configuration.
- IDs: Any IDs added to the Overview, Customers, or Carriers blocks of the shipment appear on the timeline.
- Costs and payments: An event is logged any time sections related to costs and payments are added or changed in the Details tab of the shipment. This also includes the segment labeled margin.
- Route: Changes made to the route such as notes added to stops, the carrier is added or removed, or additional route segments have been added.
- Contacts: Adding a customer or carrier contact to the shipment.
- Groups: Associating the shipment with a new group or removing it from a group.
- Account owner: Adding an account owner to the customer or carrier section of the shipment.
- Items & equipment: Changes made to the equipment needed/used or the items in the shipment.
- Offers: When an offer is created, accepted, or rejected, an event is logged.
- Exceptions: Any exceptions logged against the shipment that have been added, updated, or resolved.
- Protip: Any notes added to an exception are logged on the timeline as a Description.
- Business rule validation: An event where a change made to the shipment failed to validate against a Business rule.
- More: Expands the timeline event to show additional information, such as screen captures of the change. Timeline events without More will show all relevant information in the text.
Using timeline filters
You can filter the events within the shipment timeline to find what you’re looking for, rather than scroll through all records captured.
First, you can choose to see all timeline updates for the associated shipment by selecting All, or just those pertaining to the route by choosing Route. However, you can only apply filters to the All view of the Timeline tab.
To apply a filter, navigate to the top left of the timeline tab and select the type of filter you’re looking to apply. There are three filters available:
- Event: Gives options to narrow the types of events shown in the timeline:
- Post update: Populates the Status filter, so you can filter the timeline by shipment status updates such as Dispatched, Delivered, etc.
- Details: Populates the Details filter so you can choose to filter the timeline by updates to the Overview, Customers, and Carriers blocks in the Details tab. Options include events such as stops, costs, carrier added, etc.
- Offers: Filters the timeline to show any created, accepted, or rejected on inbound or outbound offers connected to the shipment.
- Exception: Filters the timeline to show the details of any created, updated, or resolved exceptions logged against the shipments.
- User: View actions being taken by a specific user in Turvo. Users are selected from the drop down menu and you can select multiple users, if needed.
- Date range: View records for a specific day/time period.
To remove any applied filters, click Clear to the far right of the Timeline tab.