Turvo allows coordination and planning of routes for multiple customers (consolidation), as well as multiple carriers and/or drivers (relays) within a single shipment.
Locating the Route section of a shipment
To locate the Route section in a shipment:
- Open any existing shipment in the Plan phase through the left navigation and selecting Shipments > Plan, searching for a specific shipment in the search bar, or create a new shipment.
- Click Details to view and edit the shipment details, including the route, carrier, driver, etc.
- Find the Route section and click to expand the details and begin setting up route options.
- The Route section will expand to reveal fields to input carrier, pickup, and delivery information.
By default, only one pickup and one delivery location exist, however, you may add additional pickups and deliveries to this route by clicking the + Add stop button beneath the route details.
- Depending on the mode of the shipment, you may be able to choose the stop type for the new stop from a drop-down menu. Stop types include:
- TL: Pickup, Transload, Storage, Delivery
- LTL: Pickup, Delivery
- Parcel: Pickup, Delivery
- Drayage: Pickup, Recovery, Storage, Delivery, Termination
- Ocean: Port of Origin, Port of Landing, Transshipment Port, Port of Discharge
- Air: Pickup, Delivery
- Rail: Port of Origin, Port of Landing, Transshipment Port, Port of Discharge, Delivery
- Intermodal: Pickup, Delivery
Protip: The available fields for added stops will also change based on the mode of the shipment.
- Click SAVE.
Configuring stops with different/multiple customers
Turvo also allows you to assign different customers to individual pickups and deliveries. If you are picking up from and/or delivering to multiple customers, make sure to add those customers under the Customers block within the shipment Details page.
To add different or multiple customers:
- Click the small blue + sign in the upper right corner of the Customer block.
- Start typing the name of the other customer and select them from the drop-down menu.
- Once you've selected the correct customer, click the green check mark to save.
- Once the additional customer has been added under the Customers block, head back to the Route section to add them to the applicable route.
- You'll be able to select the customer from the Customer drop-down menu within each stop on the route. Additional customers may be assigned to one stop by clicking + Assign customer within the stop details.
- Make sure to click SAVE once you've made your changes.
Configuring a shipment with multiple carriers or drivers
If two or more carriers or drivers will be utilized to complete the shipment, the platform allows adding additional "route segments," or legs of a route, to accommodate adding additional carriers or drivers from the same carrier.
To add a new route segment:
- Click the + Add route segment button at the bottom of your current route details page.
- In the new route segment, you'll see fields to input Mode, Service type, and carrier details, as well as additional pickup and delivery locations.
- Mode and Service type will default to the mode and service type selected when the shipment was created, but they can be changed for each route segment if needed.
- Click the Mode field to select TL, LTL, Parcel, Drayage, Air, Rail, Ocean, or Intermodal from the drop-down.
- The available fields and options for Service type and Stop type will change depending on the chosen Mode.
- To assign an existing carrier to your new route segment, simply click into the Carrier field at the top of the new route segment and select a carrier from the drop-down.
- To add a new carrier to the shipment, click + Add carrier.
- This will jump you down to the Carriers block within the shipment’s Details tab, where you will be able to add the new carrier to the shipment.
- Once all relevant carriers and route segments have been added, you will need to assign drivers for each route segment.
- Do this under the Carriers block > Carrier information section (The carrier’s name is displayed) > "Route segment" section > Driver segment, as shown in the image below.
- If you have added multiple route segments but assigned only one carrier, multiple "Route segment" sections will appear under that carrier in the Carriers block. Make sure to add a driver to each route segment under the Carriers block to account for the different drivers that will be used to complete that shipment.
- Make sure to click SAVE after making any changes!
Driver app tracking
Driver app tracking works for a single route segment. You can add drivers to multiple route segments, but you won’t be able to track using the Turvo driver app, as the current functionality doesn’t support tracking multiple drivers for the same shipment.
In order to track additional route segments, telematics data must be used.
Tracking using telematics
Assets assigned to shipments can be configured with a telematics provider integration, allowing Turvo to receive tracking updates for the asset from a third party tracking service. See our articles, Connecting to telematics providers in Turvo and Add equipment to a shipment, to learn more about connecting an asset to a telematics provider and assigning the asset to the shipment.
For TL shipments only, a Tracking provider segment is also available. This segment is only used for attaching Project44 (P44) or MacroPoint telematics provider information to a shipment. The Sensor provider drop-down will only feature Project44 and MacroPoint, if one or both of those integrations are available in your tenant. Otherwise, the drop-down’s fields will be blank.
For more information on utilizing MacroPoint or P44 for asset or shipment-specific tracking, see our articles:
Note: To avoid affecting another telematics integration used by the shipment’s assigned assets, do not update these fields.
If configured for your tenant, you can also confirm and unconfirm appointments at each stop location on each route segment using the provided checkboxes. See our article, How to mark pickup and delivery appointments as confirmed in Turvo, to learn more about the appointment confirmation feature.
Hiding appointment dates for FCFS stops
Turvo offers a tenant configuration to “hide” appointment dates for FCFS appointments. Utilizing this feature for your tenant does not affect the processes described in this article, but does mean that the Pickup appointment (origin) and Delivery appointment (destination) fields in the shipment’s Summary tab, in the list view, and in any exceptions for the shipment will be blank.
Check out our article, Hiding first come first served appointment dates in your tenant , to learn more about this tenant configuration.