While all users in Turvo can set their own specific notification rules according to their own preferences, admin-level users and above have the ability to set tenant-level notification rules for specific user roles in your tenant. These rules can be further defined by adding in additional parameters so that only notifications are sent to users with that role when certain conditions are met.
Important note: This is a limited release feature and is not available to all Turvo tenants.
Using these, you can ensure users who need to be notified of certain events on your tenant will receive the appropriate notification, even if they do not have a rule configured for their own account.
These rules function very similarly to the logic found in your own user-specific notification rules and to Autopilot rules. You can learn more about each of these features in our Configuring your account's notification rules article and in the Autopilot rule creation logic section of our Autopilot: Automatically apply customer billable rates to shipments article.
Configuring default notification methods for the tenant notifications feature
The Tenant notification feature is available but disabled on all tenants by default. Users with Admin-level access and above can follow the steps below to set default communication channels for tenant notifications. This controls how the notifications are delivered, via the Turvo platform, email, the Turvo mobile app, and/or text message.
To configure your tenant’s default notification methods:
- Navigate to the Admin console by clicking on your profile icon in the top right corner of your dashboard.
- Select Admin console from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Rules card.
- On the Rules page, click the User header in the column to the left. Then, click the Notification section header to expand the section.
- Click the Default notification method for tenant notifications toggle to turn it on.
- If the toggle is grey, it is in the OFF position. If it is blue, it is in the ON position.
- Four checkboxes appear below the toggle once it is turned on. Use these to set default methods for delivering tenant notifications to users. Select all that apply:
- Web app: Notifications are sent within your Turvo tenant’s notification system.
- Email: Notifications are sent via email to the address on each users’ profile.
- Mobile app: Push notifications are sent to the user via the Turvo mobile app (if they are utilizing it).
- Text message: Notifications are sent via text message to the mobile phone number on each users’ profile.
- Once you have made your selections, click SAVE to complete your configuration.
- After a configuration is saved in Admin console > Rules, you’ll see the Update rules? pop-up. It’s important to note any rules enabled or disabled will affect your entire tenant. You can also choose to force all users in your tenant to refresh in order to apply the changes using the provided checkbox. To complete the setup, click YES.
Important note: It can take up to 30 minutes for a rule to take effect in Turvo. Once a rule is enabled for your tenant, the rule is locked from future changes up to 30 minutes. You can view whether a rule is locked by the notification to the right of the rule line.
To unlock the rule, click the circular arrows to the right after the displayed time has passed.
Creating a tenant notification rule
Once the feature is enabled, you can create tenant notification rules. Follow the steps below to create a tenant notification rule for users on your tenant:
- On the Admin console > Rules page, click the User header in the column to the left. Then, click the Tenant notifications section header to expand the section.
- In the Tenant notifications section, click + Create rule.
- The Create notification rule modal appears. Enter a Rule name, then use the Entity drop-down to select whether the notification applies to updates to Shipments, Orders, or Offers.
- Note: Rules only apply to one entity type at a time. If you want similar notifications for both orders and shipments, you will need to make a rule for orders and a rule for shipments.
- Use the When drop-down to select from the type of activity on the selected entity that triggers the notification.
Note: The activities shown in the drop-down depend on your selection in the Entity field.
The available When statements for each entity can be found in our Notification type glossary article.
- Next, enter an applicable Visibility group in the If (required) section below. This field is required.
- Use the Is/Is not toggle to select whether the notification applies only to users of the selected role assigned to the selected visibility group(s) or to all users of the selected role excluding those assigned to the selected visibility group(s).
- Use the text field to type in the name of a visibility group and use the drop-down that appears below to select from matching results.
- Add all visibility groups that apply to the rule.
- If you selected Orders in the Entity field, select the Order type that applies to the notification rule. Select from Warehouse order, Transportation order, or Customer order.
Note: Each rule can only apply to one order type.
- Once all of your required criteria have been added to the rule, you can add optional criteria to further narrow the scope of what scenarios and users the rule applies to. Click + Add criteria to create additional rule criteria.
Note: Adding more criteria is optional. If you do not wish to add more criteria, skip to the Send notification section of the modal.
- Important note: The available criteria options depend on both the Entity selection and the When selection.
- Once you’ve selected all the criteria to apply to the rule, use the User role (required) drop-down to select which type of user in your tenant will receive notifications for the scenarios indicated in the rule.
- All the user roles defined in your tenant will appear in the drop-down menu. The notification rule can only be applied to one type of user role.
- Important note: If your tenant has an active default notification rule associated with a custom role, and you attempt to delete that custom role from the , you will see the message, “Role is associated with Tenant notifications, role cannot be deleted. Delete Tenant notification rules in Admin Console > Rules > Users.”
- Use the Notification method checkboxes to indicate how the users should be notified when the rule is triggered. The default communication channels for tenant notifications, selected in the Configuring default notification methods for the tenant notifications feature section above, are pre-selected and cannot be disabled. Use the other checkboxes to enable additional notification methods for the notification rule.
- Click SAVE when you are done to complete creation of your new rule.
Managing existing tenant notification rules
You can update, enable/disable, and delete existing tenant notification rules using the table in the Tenant notification section.
Each created rule is listed and displays the rule’s information in the following columns:
- Rule Name: The admin-defined rule name for rule.
- Entity: The entity for which the rule was created (Shipments, Orders, or Offers).
- When: The “When” condition for the rule.
- Visibility Groups: The visibility group(s) that the users receiving the notification are assigned to.
- Role: The user role for which the notification rule was created.
- Notification Method: The notification channels by which the notifications triggered by the rule are sent to users.
- Status: The current status of the rule; Enabled or Disabled.
- Disabled rules are greyed out in the table.
To manage an existing rule, use the three vertical dots that appear on the right side of the row featuring the rule when hovering your cursor over the row.
- Click Disable to deactivate the rule without deleting it. If the rule is already disabled, Enable is shown instead.
- Click Edit to launch the Edit notification rule modal, which functions the same as the Create notification rule modal described in the section above. Update the rule as needed and click SAVE to complete your changes.
- Click Delete to remove the rule completely. A prompt will appear to confirm that you want to delete the rule. Click YES to delete or NO to cancel.
Note: If deleted, it cannot be recovered. You will need to recreate the rule.
View applicable tenant notification rules in your profile
If your tenant utilizes the tenant notifications feature, you can view which rules apply to you from your profile page. To view both your account-specific notification rules and application tenant notification rules:
- Navigate to your User profile by clicking on your profile icon in the top right corner of Turvo, then click on your name or profile picture.
- On your User profile page, select the Notifications tab.
- Within the Notifications tab, notification rules for different entities are displayed in the sections.
- Click the Shipment, Order or Offer section header to expand the section and see notification rules for that entity.
- Use the My notifications/Tenant notifications toggle to switch between notification rules that you created for yourself and tenant notifications created by an admin that apply to your user role.
Important note: If your tenant does not have the tenant notifications feature enabled, this toggle is not available. Only notifications specific to your user profile are visible. See our Managing and configuring notification rules for your account article to learn more.
- The Tenant notifications view provides a table with columns detailing each rule’s Rule Name, Entity, When, Visibility group, Role, Notification method, and Status.
- This matches the table found in the Admin console, detailed in the Managing existing tenant notification rules section above.
- Click on a rule to see the Notification details modal.
Important note: You can only view the details of the rule. You cannot edit tenant notification rules from your profile.
- Click X to close the modal.
If you would like to learn more about setting up notification rules specifically for your Turvo account, see our article on Managing and configuring notification rules for your account.