Multi-leg shipments are shipments that consist of two or more legs, where a leg is typically composed of consecutive segments of a route. Multi-leg shipments are common when you are using more than one carrier or need flexibility in your shipment’s route journey.
For example, you may need to ship multiple orders that contain food and automotive parts originating from Ft. Pierce, Florida and arriving in San Francisco and Los Angeles, California, respectively. Food and auto parts cannot be shipped together and they are arriving at different locations, so you will need to use a multi-leg shipment.
Essentially, a multi-leg shipment is one that connects several legs of a shipment. The multiple legs can be serial movement or parallel movement using pool points, also known as a cross-dock scenario.
Pool Point Movement
Enable Multi-Leg Shipments in Admin Console
Multi-leg shipment is a tenant-level configuration. When toggled ON, multi-leg shipments will be applicable to all tenants in the network (broker, shipper, carrier).
Note: This feature is toggled OFF by default. To enable this feature, Navigate to Admin console > Settings > Shipments > Multileg shipments > toggle ON Enable Multi-leg Shipments.
For a split listview between multi-leg shipments and single-leg shipments, toggle ON the Show the split list view for multi-leg shipments setting. With this toggle OFF, all shipments show on the standard list view.
Using Multi-leg shipments, you can consolidate or deconsolidate multiple shipments at a pool point. A pool point is a special type of location and selection for a pool point is limited to this location type. However, you may want to consolidate or deconsolidate at several locations, and may not want to tag them as pool points. To enable the tenant-level toggle to restrict pool points, toggle ON Restrict pool point selection to pool point locations.
Plan a multi-leg shipment
To build multi-leg shipments, use the order-to-shipment planning process. Begin by navigating to the list of orders that you want to use to build a multi-leg shipment and follow the steps below:
- From the Orders list view, select the orders you want to use to build the multi-leg shipment.
- In the bottom right of the screen, click the up arrow to the right of the MANUAL PLAN button and select MULTI-LEG SHIPMENT.
Note: This is only available if multi-leg shipments are enabled for your tenant.
- Complete the fields for the first leg. Select either Yes or No for Has pool point?
If Yes is selected, the system will then ask if the leg is a Consolidation or Deconsolidation.
The fields in the planning window are as follows:
- Mode: The default mode is LTL but you can select any mode.
- Order ID: The ID for each order; this is not an editable field.
- Origin: The order origin; this is not an editable field.
- Destination: Either a pool point or standard destination.
- Click + Add leg.
To combine all orders into a single shipment, click Combine all orders into one shipment; this will combine the orders and convert the shipment into a multi-stop shipment.
- If this is the last leg, click Last leg. If not, repeat Steps 3 and 4 above.
- Click CREATE SHIPMENT.
- Post planning, the shipment opens on the multi-leg shipment detail view. All shipment legs are visible. From this view, bulk operations can be done on the various legs, similar to the Shipments page list view. The consolidated status for the multi-leg shipment is derived from the statuses of its child shipments.
View Multi-Leg shipments
- On the Shipments page, if you have Show the split list view for Multi-leg shipments toggled ON, you will see the option to select Multi-Leg at the top left.
Note: If Show the split list view for Multi-leg shipments is toggled OFF, you will not see this option.
This list view is hierarchical and all legs are shown under the multi-leg shipment by expanding the arrow.
- Select a multi-leg shipment and click VIEW DETAILS.
- On the Shipments tab, you can see each leg and click them individually to see the details.
- On the Orders tab, you can view and add orders to the multi-leg shipment.
Add a Shipment to Multi-Leg Shipment
To add a shipment to a multi-leg shipment, follow the steps below:
- On the Shipments tab of the Shipments window, click + Add Shipment.
- You have the option to either create a new shipment or click Find Existing to add a shipment that has already been created.
- Select the shipment you want to add and click ADD SHIPMENT.
Remove a Shipment from a Multi-Leg Shipment
On the Shipments tab of the Shipments window, select the shipment(s) you want to remove using the checkbox(es).
Click REMOVE SELECTED.
Add an Order to Multi-Leg shipment
Important note: This is meant for well-structured multi-leg shipments that have all orders planned end-to-end, and all orders follow the same shipment structure. If you have one order that is not fully planned or is planned differently (e.g. an order has an additional shipment leg compared to the other orders), the + Add orders button is disabled.
- On the Orders tab of the Shipments window, click + Add orders.
- Select the orders you want to add and then click ADD.
You can see that the order has been added to your multi-leg shipment.
Remove an order from a Multi-Leg shipment
- On the Orders tab of the Shipments window, select the orders you want to remove.
Then click REMOVE SELECTED.
Add an order to a specific leg to a Multi-Leg shipment
- Select the leg (child shipment) that you want to add the order to and click the Orders tab.
- Then click + Add orders to add the order to this shipment.
Select the orders you want to add and click ADD.