Many companies have accounting rules that require Credit or Debit memos be used to make any additional adjustments to payments after the initial Carrier Invoice is paid or the initial Customer Invoice is billed.
How to enable Credit/Debit memos
- Navigate to the Admin console by clicking on your profile icon in the top right corner of your dashboard.
- Select Admin console from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Rules card.
- On the Rules page, click the Payment header in the column to the left. Then, click the Invoices section header to expand.
- Click the enable Memo creation for Customer Invoices toggle to switch it to the blue ON position.
- Click the enable Memo creation for Carrier Invoices toggle to switch it to the blue ON position
Note: The toggle is blue when ON. When the toggle is OFF, it will remain grey.
Add Credit/Debit memos to a Customer or Carrier invoice
- Navigate to shipments in the left navigation menu using Shipments > Bill
- Select the shipment you want to add a memo to and click the Details tab.
- Next to the invoice you want to add a memo to, click the More options (three dots) button and click Add Memo.
- Add Memo Cost Items and click Create.
- This opens the invoice that has now been updated with the memo information.
- To see the memo in the Documents tab, click the arrow next to the invoice you added a memo to. You can now see all memos attached to the invoice.
Invoice cost section
Credit and debit memos are reflected in the customer’ Costs segment of the shipment Details tab.
- Credits are reflected as a line item with a negative number.
- Debits are reflected as a line item with a positive number.